Iguazu Falls Brazil/ Argentina

Iguazu Falls in Brazil

This unique natural wonder is 2.7 kilometers (1.7 miles) in length and forms a natural border between Argentina and Brazil and well as between the upper and lower Iguazu River.

Iguazu Falls is one of the new seven wonders of nature.

Iguazu Falls is one of the New Seven Wonders of Nature.

Iguazu’s Drops

The breathtaking spot is shaped like a reversed letter J, and its 275 drops are among the longest and highest known to exist. It is out-sized in length only by the Boyoma Falls in the Congo.

North America’s Niagra Falls are said to be about 1/3 shorter in height than Iguazu, with the longest drop being 82 meters long. Despite these unusually high drops in these falls, the flow of these falls is considerably less than Niagra Falls. Iguazu has also been compared to Victoria Falls separating Zimbia and Zimbabwe in Africa.

Iguazu Falls

Beautiful Iguazu Falls

In Brazil and In Argentina

Approximately 80 percent of these dramatic drops or falls are Argentine, or the left side of the falls. The right side, the remaining 20 percent are Brazilian.

Scenic view of Iguazu waterfalls in Argentina

Scenic view of Iguazu waterfalls in Argentina

Legend of Iguazu Falls

There is a legend of a deity that planned to marry a beautiful woman who instead chose a mortal to marry. In his heartbreak and anger over this rejection, the legend states that he sliced the river, declaring that all lovers shall be doomed to an eternal drop or fall.

Iguaçu Falls in Brazil

Iguazu Falls in Brazil

Discovery of the Waterfalls

The first documented sighting of the majestic view was in 1541 by the Spanish conquistador Alver Nunez Cabeza de Vaca.

The water from these copious falls lands in a long narrow passage called the Devil’s Throat. Here there is also a walkway for tourists which extends from a canyon in the Argentinian side.

Iguazu Falls in Brazil

Iguazu Falls in Brazil

Helicopter Rides

In Brazil, there have been aerial views to be seen with popular helicopter rides over the falls; but to prevent adverse effects on the environment, this is not available on the Argentinian side.

Both Brazil and Argentina provide boating options for viewing.

Iguazu Falls, Argentina and is one of the New Seven Wonders of Nature.

Iguazu Falls, Argentina and is one of the New Seven Wonders of Nature.

Environmental Efforts

Brazil officials are looking for means to increase capacity for visitors while also reducing fuel emissions and other environmental impacts. They are now using double decker buses, for example. This reduces the number of vehicles in circulation at a given time.

Iguazu falls top view in Argentina

Iguazu falls top view in Argentina

Nature Comfort

The flora, fauna, and colorful and diverse animal species as well as the falls themselves contribute richly to the beauty of the scenery here.

The traveler will not be surprised that the climate would be quite warm and humid and will want to dress accordingly for their own comfort.

Further tourism details and images are available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iguazu_Falls.